Thursday, May 9, 2013

Being old.



You know how I know I’m old?

Here are a few things that helped me reach this realization:


·         When people ask me how old I am, and at first I say 23, but I’m not. So then, I remember that I’m 24 and feel super old.

·         When I make a conscious effort to reach my daily fiber intake EVERY SINGLE DAY, and eat things like steel cut oatmeal with chia seeds (delish. Try it.) I also have been eating PRUNES. Not religiously, yet, but I’ve been eating them, and frankly, they are not so bad (especially the Orange Essence ones that Sunkist brand makes.)

·         I can no longer order a Domino’s pizza and eat the whole thing myself, because if I do, I’ll not only feel guilty—I’ll be spending significant time in the bathroom two hours after I ingest it.

·         I take a HANDFUL of mineral supplements and vitamins every day, and unless it’s a placebo effect, they make me feel better and stuff.

·         I have to thoroughly stretch at the beginning and end of every day. I “pulled something” in my back the other week (by sleeping funny, I think,) and I carry Icy-Hot in my purse to work. Every joint in my body cracks on a daily basis (including hips, elbows, STERNUM. Wth?!)

·         I go to a chiropractor, on a semi-regular basis.

·         I say things like, “Back when I was in college.” Or “Back when I could stay up past 10:30 pm.”

·         Most of my trips to TJ MAXX results in purchases of either yoga/lounge gear or business attire. (& for those of you [women] working in a corporate or government setting where you have to dress like an adult to work, may I suggest hitting up TJM for as many Cynthia Rowley dresses as you can find! They’re comfy, cute, and almost always look good on everyone. Plus they tend to be modest enough for work and around $25. WOOHOO!)

·         I have to carefully consider committing to weekend nocturnal activities, because FLAKEY PEOPLE are my biggest pet peeve, and I hate reneging on plans, but I also hate when Friday comes around and I am too exhausted from the work week to drag myself into the shower, much less to shower, blow dry my hair, put on nice clothes, and go do things.

·         I realize how much work it is to maintain lasting, quality friendships when you’re no longer running into your friends at school or work (but it’s almost always worth the effort.)

·         I’ve purchased a pair of pants that could probably be classified as “chinos.”

·         I check up on my monthly budget about once a month to make sure my savings is on track for my first home purchase plans.

·         When I’m in the car, if I’m not listening to a book on CD, NPR is on.

·         Next year’s birthday will be my quarter century mark.


Maybe 24 is the new 45? (<<<Insert Carrie Bradshaw voice over here.) 

I can say that I feel a million times better when I get active during the week, even if it’s just a nice walk a few nights a week, bedroom yoga, or whatever. And eating vegetables seems to help too. It’s tough to feel like exercising after an 11 hour day of sitting. Sitting in the car for 3 hours and at my desk for 8 is a killer.
I think I’m going to try some new things soon. 

Luckily, I have a boyfriend who seems pretty on board for new adventures, as long as they fit somewhere in our budget, so hopefully my next posts will be all about exciting/cool/new things I’m doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment